Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tea Smoked Salmon

I recently read about tea smoking, an ancient Chinese culinary technique.  Sounded intriguing! I'm not sure if the old-time Chinese people had salmon, 
but this style of cooking really compliments this fish!  I'm not an expert with 
the barbecue, but this was quite easy.  

First I put my salmon in a marinade for an hour or so: 

  • 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce 
  • 1 tablespoon sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated orange or lemon zest 
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Then I started a fire with briquettes in my barbecue. While waiting for the 
coals to form, I prepared the smoking ingredients: 
  • 1/4 cup mixed whole leaf oolong and jasmine tea 
  • 1/4 cup white rice 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar 
  • 8 whole star anise 
  • 2 tablespoons crushed cinnamon stick
  • 5 whole allspice 
I put the smoking ingredients in a few layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil and formed an open packet. 

Smoking ingredients mixed in a foil packet:
The tea and spices infuse the fish with a subtle, slightly bitter taste.
The brown sugar sweetens up the fish and adds a caramel color and undertone.
The rice acts as a fuel to keep the aromatics smoking.


When the coals are white hot, place the foil packet of smoking ingredients directly on them.  Put the grill in place above the coals, and shut the 
barbecue lid. Partially close the barbecue's air vent.  When you see 
smoke rising from the vent, it's time to cook! My coals were quite hot, 
and smoke appeared in just a few minutes. 

Remove the salmon from the marinade and pat it dry. Brush it lightly with 
oil. I used a mixture of sesame and peanut oil. You can place the salmon 
on a pre-soaked cedar plank, but I'm not that fancy. I used a nonstick grill 
basket that I bought  for a few dollars. Put the salmon skin side up (if it has 
skin) and put the cedar plank or grill basket on the grill. Close the lid and 
the air vent. Let the salmon smoke for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how 
thick your fillet is. Flip the fish once and smoke again to medium doneness.  
Usually this requires another 3 to 5 minutes. I bought salmon trimmings 
that were quite thin, so I smoked it a scant 3 minutes per side.  

My experiment was a success!  I think this was the most delicious salmon I have ever eaten.  Next I think I'll try this technique with shrimp laid directly 
on the grill.



Inexpensive salmon trimmings smoked to perfection in 6 minutes!

2 comments:

  1. This is very interesting sounding! I wonder if there's any way I can do this with a gas grill. I've seen little metal boxes for supposedly smoking with a gas grill, but I've never really trusted them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you can. There was an article in Fine Cooking about doing tea smoking on either kind of grill. In another article they did it in a wok on the stovetop.

    ReplyDelete