Saturday, June 26, 2010

the midnight meat train

James got me a meat grinder attachment for Christmas (so romantic!) and we've been pretty excited about making some deluxo burgers. Our first was chuck steak burgers, with lots of blue cheese crumbles melted on top. SO GOOD. Patties had a tendency to crumble very easily though- Maybe meat was so lean that there wasn't enough fat to hold them together? Really very good though. My mouth is kind of watering just thinking about them.


The other day we ground up some new york steaks (I think? they were on sale, whatever they were) and topped them with roasted garlic, avacado and grilled poblanos. I also added an egg to the patties, hoping the combat the crumbly texture. Then I got carried away and added another egg (you know me, all about the eggs) and then before I knew it, the patties were cooking in some sort of omelet substance and were more crumbly than before. Still an ok burger though. Also, a bit too well done, but it's a learning process. All good. All good.

Aaaaaand I checked out Foster Burger the other day, where I haz burger w/pork back fat added to the patty. Which led me to the conclusion that what MY burgers need is some duck fat! (Did you know you can order this shit, get it mailed to your door? the duck fat, that is. NOT the foster burger.)
Side note, while at Foster Burger, James had a burger with pickled beets and an egg on it. I took a pic, lost it, and then stole a pic from their facebook so you can see the crazy bastard for yourself.


Interestingly- I do not eat that many burgers. I feel like I need to put that out there. Just so you know. Also, I know Paris has been grinding some meat of his very own- including a fascinating encounter with ground chicken. What up, Paris?

5 comments:

  1. I made a great chicken hamburger from ground chicken breaded with Parmesan and bread crumbs, that I put on grilled slices of french bread, fresh basil, mozzarella, radicchio and some marinara sauce. It was pretty incredible. I have some photos I will put them up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cause we don't have one of those big standing mixers with a grinder, something I've been doing lately is using the food processor to make my own ground beef. Finely chopped green onions, olive oil and spices, then the steak, a little frozen. Makes awesome beef for burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moni- how are your patties holding together? Do you find any crumbling wanting to happen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not really. Usually I get crumbling when I don't chop the onions fine enough or use meat with too much fat.

    ReplyDelete