Sunday, November 1, 2009

Cream of Potato soup.

I love a good creamy potato soup. Papa used to take us to Elmer’s every Wednesday night, and the soup of the day for Wednesday would be cream of potato. But since we would go at the end of the day, it would have been cooking all day, and when I got my bowl, it was closer to delicious mashed potatoes than a soup. I loved it.

Anyway, I had some potatoes at home that were going to go bad soon, so I decided to make a hearty cream of potato soup with leeks. Sort of to usher in the cold weather.

First thing I did was peel some potatoes and cover them with water to cook them. I had some chicken broth in my freezer that I used to boil them, but water itself would be fine I am sure. I added some salt and a bay leaf to these boiling potatoes.

DSC01101

Then I washed and chopped the white part of 3 leeks, an onion, and some garlic and placed it in a different pot with some butter.

DSC01104 I cooked this in some butter on a decent heat until everything softened and looked tasty. By this time my potatoes were pretty much cooked as I had sliced them very thin. I added the potatoes and the liquid I cooked them in to the cooked leek/onion/garlic mixture.

I added cream, some dill (I have been trying to find out when to use this herb), salt and pepper, and a small amount of thyme. I let it simmer until it thickened up slightly.

I put it a bowl , topped it with chopped chives, Italian parsley, and some bacon that I fried up. Man it was good. Probably not so healthy, but worth every bite.

DSC01107

If I had to change something, maybe I would have left the skins on the potatoes, just to create an interesting texture contrast. But it was still great.

6 comments:

  1. oh yea. i love skins on potatoes. this looks pretty yummy for creamy soup. usually i don't like creamy soups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this looks good, especially for not having any milk in it. I love creamy soups, but usually steer clear because of the milk content. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uhhh..... it has cream, Noel.

    Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was kind of wondering what Noel meant by that. technically I am not allergic to the fats in milk so I can have heavy cream. I thought that was what Noel was referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paris, dill is really good in hungarian mushroom soup. You can find all sorts of recipes online. It is mostly, mushrooms, butter, onions, broth, hungarian papricka, dill, and sour cream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete