Monday, November 16, 2009

Diary of Sundays: Waffle-Crazed Carnivore

Nov 1st: I continue my waffle exploration with a corn meal based waffle, topped with sausage crumbles and a sharp white chedder. The sausage goes great with the rustic hearty waffle, but I feel the cheese makes the whole dish a little too much. I think it needs a nice lite sauce or gravy to mellow everything out. Unfortunately, my gravy skillz are non-existent, and the meal ends w/me feeling no closer to my waffle magnum opus.

Definitely studly, but not quite my vision.


Nov 8th: James to tackle steak and eggs again, and decides to attempt homemade hollandaise sauce as well. I try to talk him out of it; I say things like, "gravy difficulties don't even come close to this potential disaster!" He ignores me and concocts a delicious light hollandaise. I dump copious amounts onto my still mooing steak lovingly wrapped in bacon and think fondly of animals. A good day.

A bit of the ultra violence in a soft lemon cream sauce.
Mwa ha ha- feast your eyes upon this horror!



Nov 15th: No words to describe my delight! The waffle procedure went swimmingly well, and now I have little left to live for. Went back to my basic waffle recipe but added an extra egg (4 in total.) Added thinly sliced ham, surrounding slender slices of swiss cheese, INSIDE the waffle. Careful pouring, ham/cheese placement, more careful pouring... These waffles puffed up, full and light and beautiful and meat-filled! I have created a monster! First test run went so well, I began to add sliced green onion. Savory combination went even better! Then I tried to add double the amount of ham/cheese, but discovered my waffle machine does have its limits. I believe the next step will be acquiring a rotating waffle iron to better suit my meat-stuffing tendencies.

It's alive!

Handy and delightful even when chilled.

Prep work and a straining waffle iron. Seriously, where the hell did I get this little thing?

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had trouble with gravy. Jason had a gravy disaster one year, and from then on, I was the gravy guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a gravy disaster. last year paris told me to put more salt than i ever imagined gravy would need. it ended up being so salty we used it as a salt substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well you taste it when putting it in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this waffle ham and cheese thing does look good. how do you make the batter? no sugar i suspect?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just ate and I'm hungry again after seeing this post. Yum.

    ReplyDelete