Sunday, November 1, 2009

Flour Tortillas and Plastic Plates

I found this flour tortilla recipe awhile ago and the last couple of times I made it I really liked it. The tortillas always end up pretty thick and chewy. Plus, they are super simple and easy to make. So, without further ado, here it is.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup water or milk

Or, you can see the picture below if you are illiterate.



*not pictured, water and/or milk. Good luck figuring that out to those unable to read.


Now for the directions:


1. Mix ingredients together in bowl! I use my hands, less dishes that way. It should be somewhat sticky. Kneed the dough until the stickiness goes away. About 2 minutes.


2. Cover and let the dough sit for 15 min. Then divide up the dough into as many balls as you like depending on what size you want your tortillas. Then cover and let them sit for 20 min. (I'm not sure why it needs to sit since it doesn't rise, but it really does make it better)


3. 4. Roll out the dough pretty much as thin as you can get it. When you roll it out it's very stretchy and resilient so you don't have to be very gentle. They fluff up ablot when they cook too so no matter what you do they will end up being thick and chewy.


5. 6. Finally, set it in a pan on lowish heat with no oil or anything. Once you see it start to bubble you can flip it. Set the hot tortillas in a folded towel or whatever you like.



* Instruction pictures are numbered in wingdings font.


And finally, you can eat them! they stay pretty good wrapped up in the fridge too. Just warm them up again.


Here is the final project, pictured with paris's salsa! Notice that the tortilla is partially eaten because I couldn't wait. Oh yeeeaaassss.


* plate is a plastic miffy childrens plate with seperate sections to keep your food from mixing together. Like this one! Moni and Rachel gave it to me for christmas since I like using baby utensils.

4 comments:

  1. I will have to try this out. I took some photos on how to made corn tortillas, but they didn't turn out so well, so I need to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this one too. I'm tired of paying money to the Man for my tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, Revolution! I would much rather support the flour man than the tortilla man.

    ReplyDelete