Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chávez Mexican Cooking: Pico de Gallo salsa


I have been asked to post how I make salsa, so here is the process. I would like to apologize for the lack of precision, I don't have measurements for most of these types of dishes.

To make a fresh salsa you will need:

Ripe tomatoes
Jalapeños
Cilantro
Onions
Garlic
Lime
Mexican Oregano
Cumin
Salt

Chop up the tomatoes to be as fine or as chunky as you like. Mince the jalapeños (you can remove or keep the seeds depending on how hot you want it. Leaving all the seeds will make it very hot) and add them to the tomatoes. Chop the onions, and mince the garlic and add to the mixture.

Wash the cilantro completely, and remove the leaves from the stems. Chop the leaves and add to the mixture. I usually like a lot of cilantro, I try to make it look 50% green and 50% red. As with all the ingredients in this dish, adjust to your personal preference.

Squeeze lime juice in the salsa, and add some cumin, mexican oregano (be careful with these, they can overpower the flavor), and the salt. Mix up, and see if it tastes good! You can eat this with almost anything.

I did not take this photo, but it looks pretty good, no?

2 comments:

  1. Except don't eat it with dessert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's important to note that pico tastes better the longer you let it sit around and marinate.

    AND: Who doesn't know how to make pico? i MUST know. ALSO: does anyone else know that Tara told me the other day that she doesn't care for oregano any longer? WHAT kind of a PERSON is she? If she even is a person any longer. She was specifically talking about mexican oregano too. I think. She also claimed she can't find mexican oregano anywhere though, and I see it everywhere, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete