Saturday, October 3, 2009

Noël: Waffle Window


I have been very into waffles as of late. I usually make them Sunday mornings, and enjoy trying unusual waffle recipes/combinations. The last waffle recipe I played with used yeast and required a day to rise.
However, today was James' first Saturday morning off in a million years, so I insisted we go to the waffle window. It's around the corner of the Bread and Ink Café on Hawthorne and it kicks butt. Their waffles have a great eggy texture, not too crispy nor thin. I always get the same one: the 3 Bs. It has bacon, brie and basil with a little touch of apricot jam. It pretty much rocks my world. Here's a pic of me acting like I've never seen it before.


"My word, I do believe we have never met before."


James always gets the "3 Bs" too (I insist he get his own because I don't share this thing very well) and he gets a sweet one as well. This time he got a pear and nutella wiffle waffle that looked very pretty.



Waffles inducing gang signs.


The sweet ones are a little much for me. They're really very good, just too much. I am really into the savory ones. And! When we were leaving, I saw some dude with a waffle covered in ham and a coarsely grated thick cheese, so next time I think I will venture away from the bacon and try that one.
Also, side note: did you know waffles are distant long lost relatives to the communion wafer? Supposedly, early communion wafers were baked in irons and had the same characteristic honeycomb pattern that waffles still have today. Heavy stuff.

4 comments:

  1. It looks good, but that sweet one looks way rich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, you should take me here next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking about making waffles, but I can't bring myself to buy a waffle maker.

    ReplyDelete